Sunday, January 25, 2015

Righteous or right

I have had a theme of thought recently. It was phrase I heard in a sermon by David Asscherick and it has helped me contemplate myself and my actions and so forth for the past few days.

Its a hard lesson to learn, specifically for me, and anyone like me.

Those who are stubborn, know-it-alls.

The lesson is packaged in this little saying, "Its far better to be Righteous than Right."

For me, that is so so so hard to hear.

Because I feel more correct than other people most of the time and often I self-justify myself with my head knowledge by using it to cover for my lack of Christ-likeness. This know-it-all mentality also has also urged my pride often overboard.

Its as if, believing in, and knowing right, correct things somehow is what brings me into favor with God. When really it is God given obedience to the lessons enveloped in Christ's character and teachings.

In a way, I seem to have valued intelligence and wittiness over sacrifice and contriteness. 

For example, for a long time I never valued the humble and wise heart of my mother, and judged her life according to the amount of "truth" she followed. And frankly she doesn't know all the intricacies of bible prophecy, nor can she explain her beliefs things with fluency and biblical accuracy.

But my mother more than, has displayed those things Christ's has said are valuable. Like patience, or her trust in God to do things for her.

She very much lives by the self-sacrificing principles displayed in Christ's life, but rarely pushes or exclaims her knowledge. 

In the end, my mother may be wrong on some bible beliefs, but by her life I can see she is living the one belief that matters.

Romans 13:8  "Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law."

In the end I can have all these things, these beliefs, which are important, don't get me wrong, but they are not all important and are worthless if you don't have that one thing.

That is Love, not romantic love, or filial love but Divine Love.

I think I am right most of the time. But that really, doesn't matter, if there is not the RIGHTeuosness of Christ.

I praise God for these thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment